January 21, 2006

[Off Topic.] RH Factor.

My blood type is O-. This makes me a universal donor. Anyone can take my blood.

The negative (-) is my RH factor. RH factor is a protein in red blood cells and can cause antigenic reactions. A reaction only occurs when a + and - get together.

When a mother is - and a father is +, the baby has a chance of being +, opposite of the mother's RH factor. If the baby's blood gets in the mother's system, the mother's body can produce antibodies and reject the baby, essentially attacking it.

Rh immunoglobulin (RhIg) can be injected to the mother to prevent her body from reacting to RH+. Also, a blood transfusion can be done early in the pregnancy to switch the baby's blood type.

My brother's girlfriend is RH-, their child is RH+.

Read about RH factor and pregnancies Here.

--
Posted by IdentityMIA to Off Topic. at 1/21/2006 10:27:00 AM

Notable Links
Blog of the week.
For Your Entertainment
A hilarious blog. Pithy comments on random photos.
Fuggetaboutit!
The blog of a "47 year old shrinking Italian comedian." I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life.
Help, I can't find the bun! This one has to be my favorite. A fictional blog of a woman's trials and triumphs of trying to become pregnant. Very, very funny.
Random Statements
"Bite Sized Pieces Of My Brain. Served Up Piping Hot, (Or Dreadfully Frozen), Daily! :)" I love this blog. The name says it all.